Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Evernote and Alternatives

I just started using Evernote. I like it because it is cloud based, so in theory my notes will be available from anywhere for several years. It also has a nice browser plugin for taking shots of webpages. All of this stuff is findable using the EN search function. I am told EN even does OCR on images and scans pdfs so that all that content is findable using the EN search function.

The one thing I do not like about EN is it's editor for creating notes within EN. To formatting is critical and the EN editor is inadequate.

One way around that prob is to use Google Docs. But the procedure for linking/synching EN w GD is almost non-existent.

I almost never create extensive, formated docs w my phone. So I tried using LibreOffice (Open Office) to create notes in HTML and then upload them to EN. Uploading worked fine, but it appears that the content did not get scanned by EN, because it was not findable with the EN search function. Evidently (as of April 2012) the only text-file-like format EN scans is PDF.

I tried opening the html doc in Chrome and using the EN snapshot pluggin. It failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment